Sunday, September 27, 2009

Review: DupliKate

Title: DupliKate
Author: Cherry Cheva

Publication date: September 29th, 2009


Summary:
Getting into Yale has been her dream for years—and being generally overworked and totally under-rested is the price of admission. But when she opens her eyes the next day, she comes face-to-face with, well, her face—which is attached to her body, which is standing across the room. Wait, what?
Meet Kate's computer-generated twin. Kate doesn't know why she's here or how to put her back where she belongs, but she's real. And she's the last thing Kate has time to deal with right now. Unless . . .
Could having a double be the answer to Kate's prayers? After all, two Kates can do more work than one. Or will keeping her twin a secret turn her dream future into a living nightmare?
Review:
I honestly wasn't very excited for this book at first. The cover made me think that it was going to be about some stuck up girl (I'm not really sure why, because I don't think that when I look at the cover anymore..). But when I got the opportunity to read DupliKate, it showed me that you can't always judge a book by its cover. Instead, it was about a girl who I felt I could totally relate to - someone who works her absolute hardest to get what she wants.

When Rina, Kate's "twin", comes out from the computer, it's almost completely believable. For a moment, my reaction was something like "Seriously? You've got to be kidding me", but the more I read about Rina, the less I questioned the situation and the more I wanted to know what would happen next. DupliKate was a light but very entertaining read, and something that I would definitely read again. I often found myself wondering what I would do in Kate's situation, because the characters were so real and the situation seemed so believable. If you want to read something light and fun, but with elements of seriousness, try this.

Characters: 7/10
Plot: 8/10
Originality: 7/10
Writing: 8/10
Overall grade: C

1 comment:

~The Book Pixie said...

Like you, I was initially put off by the cover. To be honest, I think it is tacky looking. However the book itself sounds really interesting and I want to read it now that I've looked past the cover. Thanks for the review.

~Briana