Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review: Fairy Tale

Title: Fairy Tale
Author: Cyn Balog

Publication date: June 23, 2009

Summary:
Morgan Sparks and Cam Browne are a match made in heaven. They've been best friends since birth, they tell each other everything, and oh yeah- they're totally hot for each other.

But a week before their joint Sweet Sixteen bash, everything changes. Cam's awkward cousin Pip comes to stay, and Morgan is stunned when her formerly perfect boyfriend seems to be drifting away.

When Morgan demands answers, she's shocked to discover the source of Cam's distance isn't another girl- it's another world. Pip claims that Cam is a fairy. No, seriously. A fairy. And now his people want Cam to return to their world and take his rightful place as Fairy King.

Determined to keep Cam with her, Morgan plots to fool the fairies. But as Cam continues to change, she has to decide once and for all if he really is her destiny, and if their “perfect” love can weather an uncertain future.


Review:
This was one of those books that since the moment I heard about it, I knew I had to have a copy. It was originally titled Fairy Lust, which I think almost fits it better, but it was still a great book either way. I've read other books about fairies before, I'm sure we all have. But this one was unique in that it wasn't the female or the main character who discovers they're a fairy - it was the main character's boyfriend. I think that made it all the more interesting, because Cam is this totally macho jock guy, who starts turning weak when he finds out he's a fairy.

I just thought the whole idea was interesting, that Cam and Pip got switched but suddenly Cam has to go to Otherworld. Cam and Morgan's relationship makes it even more interesting, because you always wanted to know what would happen. I mean, what if the person you loved realized that they were a fairy, and had to return to another world?

The plot and style in which it was executed were great, and the characters were all unique in their own ways but each had qualities I could relate to. Most novels involving fairies start to all kind of blend together in my eyes, but this was one that definitely stood out. What a great debut novel! I'm definitely looking forward to more from Cyn Balog.

Characters: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 10/10
Writing: 9/10
Overall grade: A

2 comments:

Erica said...

Great Review! I agree with you about the title, I liked Fairy Lust better, but either way I loved the book!

Eli said...

Great review! I deeply enjoyed this book. I also liked Fairy Lust better... but either title is fine (in my opinion). x)