Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Review: Get Well Soon

Title: Get Well Soon
Author: Julie Halpern

Publication date: September 1st, 2009

Summary:

Anna Bloom is depressed—so depressed that her parents have committed her to a mental hospital with a bunch of other messed-up teens. Here she meets a roommate with a secret (and a plastic baby), a doctor who focuses way too much on her weight, and a cute, shy boy who just might like her. But wait! Being trapped in a loony bin isn’t supposed to be about making friends, losing weight, and having a crush, is it?


Review:
I loved everything about this book, from the plain but cute cover to the fresh writing style. Getting to know Anna and the other patients through her letters was fun, and it actually made it seem like being in a mental hospital could be kind of fun. I loved each of the characters I got to know, and I especially liked Anna's developing relationship with Justin. I'm also a sufferer of irritable bowel syndrome and panic attacks, so I instantly fell in love with Anna's character simply because I could relate so well to almost everything she said. All of the things that happened were interesting to read about, like all of the seemingly weird rules at the hospital and the different personalities of each person. The voice was so real and fresh, and I just kept wanting to read more and more about her stay. The ending left me a bit sad, but I loved seeing how Anna really evolved throughout the book. There are some things I can't say without giving away spoilers, but I enjoyed this book tremendously.

Characters: 10/10
Plot: 9/10
Originality: 8/10
Writing: 10/10
Overall grade: A

No comments: