Saturday, April 18, 2009

In My Mailbox (4/12 - 4/18)

So while I didn't get a lot of books this week, I'm still pretty excited about what I did get! Mostly about Willow, I've been wanting to read this for quite a while now. I think the mail is being extremely slow lately, because my iPod Touch still hasn't shown up either. Soon, I hope. But anyway, on to the books from this week!:

Willow
Julia Hoban

Seven months ago, on a rainy March night, Willow’s parents drank too much wine at dinner and asked her to drive them home. But they never made it—Willow lost control of the car, and both of her parents were killed.

Now seventeen, Willow is living with her older brother, who can barely speak
to her. She has left behind her old home, friends, and school. But W
illow has found a way to survive, to numb the new reality of her life: She is secretly cutting herself.

And then she meets Guy, a boy as sensitive and complicated as she is. When Guy discovers Willow’s secret, he pulls her out of t
he solitary world she’s created for
herself, and into a difficult, intense, and potentially life-changing relationship.

Julia Hoban has created an unflinching story about cu
tting, grieving, and starting
anew. But above all, she has written an unforgettable tale of first love.

I'm SO excited to read this!! I've heard amazing things about it. However, as you read before, I couldn't find it at the store here. So I had to wait for it to come from Amazon. It's finally here though, and I can't wait to read it.


***************************************

Teach Me
R.A. Nelson

Welcome to my head.
Let's hit the ground running.

With these words, high school senior Carolina "Nine" Livingston invites readers to take an up-close-and-personal glimpse at a secret and taboo affair.

Nine is immediately drawn to her new English teacher, Mr. Mann; to his brilliant exploration to poetry in class, and to the way he talks to her like an equal.

What begins as a friendship between student and teacher soon becomes more, as the two tumble into a passionate romance that goes against every basic notion of what's right and what's wrong.

Excited to read this one too. Books on this subject all seem to be the same after a while, though they still interest me.

***************************************

The Queen of Everything
Deb Caletti

High school junior Jordan MacKenzie's life was pretty typical: fractured family, new boyfriend, dead-end job. She'd been living with her father (the predictable optometrist) since her mother (the hippie holdover) had been too embarrassing to be around. Jordan felt like she finally had as normal a life as she could. But then came Gayle D'Angelo.

Jordan knew her father was dating Gayle, and that Gayle was married. Jordan knew it was wrong, and that her father was becoming someone she didn't recognize anymore, but what could she do about it? And how could she -- how could anyone -- have possibly guessed that this illicit love affair would implode in such a violent and disturbing way?


I've heard good things about Deb Caletti, but never read any of her books. When I saw this on bookmooch, I decided to try it. I hope it's as good as I'm expecting.

20 comments:

Rebecca Herman said...

I do think the mail has been slower lately! the books I send through Bookmooch/Paperbackswap seem to be taking longer.

Carrie said...

I have a copy of Teach Me floating around somewhere in my room but I haven't read it yet. I think I need to dig that one out.

Mandy said...

You got some pretty good books this week. :) Go you!

susan said...

Doesn't matter how many. It's getting something you want. Happy reading.

Nancy said...

You have a great selection of books. Willow sounds wonderfully amazing and I purchased mine last week and it is in my TBR pile..waiting for me

Reverie said...

I bought Willow finally and I am so excited to get to red it!! great books

Adele said...

You got some good ones there. I am jealous that you have Willow, I want that one bad.

Unknown said...

Willow is amazing! I hope you like it! Deb Caletti is a pretty good writer, I can't wait to see what you think of it. Oooh, I have not heard of Teach Me, but it sounds really cool.

I hope your iPod touch shows up soon! =)

Liyana said...

Are you going to do a review of The Queen of Everything? It looks so cool.

Anonymous said...

Willow is definitely amazing. You should definitely read that ASAP. :)

I <3 the cover on The Queen of Everything :)

Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to read Willow and Teach Me. They look interesting.

asdfjkl; said...

Willow has a very unique perspective. I thought it was a great book. I hope you enjoy it too! Happy Readings! :D

Anonymous said...

Willow is really good. I haven't finished it but it is really special. I have Teach Me too but it has a different cover. Hope you enjoy them!

wdebo said...

You might have just gotten a few books, but they all look REALLY good

Especially Willow, I want to read it soo badly, I can't for your review for it!!

Hope you have a great read week!

Wdebo :)

Shalonda said...

Teach Me sounds interesting!

And yay for Willow!

Fantastic Book Review said...

I heard good things about Willow! Yay for you!!

Katie said...

I went to Borders to get Willow and they didn't have it! I was so mad. So I'm pretty jealous that you have it. =]
Happy reading!

Rebecca said...

Teach Me sounds like a really interesting read.

Amy said...

Teach me looks intriguing. There's something about forbidden romance that fascinates me. (boy toy by barry lyga, check it out)Also willow-still need to buy. I'm so broke it's not even funny.
-amy

vvb32 reads said...

look forward to hear how you like the queen of everything. i finished reading my first deb caletti, fortunes of ione skye, which i loved. deb is now one of my fave authors.