Saturday, April 11, 2009

Review: Learning To Swim

Learning To Swim
Ann Turner


Summary:
Unfolding in a series of exquisite narrative poems, this is the haunting true story of a tragic summer in a young girl's life. Annie is supposed to be having a carefree summer -- but instead she must face the unwanted advances of an older boy in the neighborhood, who threatens her if she tells. It isn't until Annie's mother pries out the secret that Annie is released from her horror and isolation and can slowly begin to heal.


Review:
While this was a very quick read, it was still very emotional. I love the fact that it's done in poems, I think that best captures the story. It wouldn't have seemed the same any other way. And I'm not someone who prefers reading books in verse. I realized after I started reading it, that it's a true story from the author's childhood. That made me even more interested. It was a hard topic to read about, her being raped as a child by the neighbor boy. It's a very moving book, and if you can handle reading about topics like this, I'd suggest that you read it. It took me about 15 minutes to read from cover to cover, and it still affected me greatly. Ann Turner is capable of telling a moving story with few words. Anyone who can do that, is a winner in my book.

Overall Rating: 4/5

No comments: